Preschool Employment Opportunities
Position: Preschool Co-Teacher (Assistant Teacher)
Location: Community Arts Preschool in Walnut Creek, CA
Community Arts Preschool is a preschool enrichment program of Center for Community Arts. Our preschool is a developmental early childhood program inspired by Reggio Emilia practices and encourage child centered, play-based learning. Our teachers educate the whole child through integrated curricula where children’s emerging ideas and interests play a vital part in our planning. Our program offers a foundation for meaningful, experiential and creative arts-based learning. Children will experience learning in an inclusive environment – where they can feel safe making mistakes as well as experiencing the joy in success.
Community Arts Preschool has a long history in the Walnut Creek community, previously known as Fine Arts Preschool. This program is provided through the City of Walnut Creek’s Arts and Recreation Department. Community Arts Preschool is a part-time, recreational preschool enrichment program, which is not required to be licensed by the State. The Department of Social Services, Child Care Licensing exempts any preschool program, offered by a city recreation department, providing that it is not childcare. Community Arts Preschool provides a safe, nurturing environment that promotes the social, emotional, intellectual and physical development of every child.
Community Arts Preschool has three locations – Civic Park, Heather Farm, and Shadelands. Each program site has its own unique approach and provides a safe, nurturing environment that promotes the social, emotional, intellectual and physical development of each child. We are seeking substitute teachers with the possibility of more permanent hours in the future for all three locations.
About Center for Community Arts
Community Arts Preschool is a Center for Community Arts program. For over 40 years the City of Walnut Creek's Center for Community Arts (formerly Civic Arts Education) has been the regional center of arts learning -- promoting new visions, supporting exploration, stimulating creative thought and encouraging self-expression. We bring high-quality visual and performing arts instruction and educational experiences to participants of all ages. Last year more than 16,000 adults, youth and children enjoyed beginning through professional level classes and programs at the Civic Park and Shadelands campuses, as well as at Tice Gym and area schools.
Community Arts Preschool at Shadelands: 111 N. Wiget Lane in Walnut Creek
Community Arts Preschool at Civic Park: 1375 Civic Drive in Walnut Creek
Community Arts Preschool at Heather Farm: 500 N. San Carlos Drive in Walnut Creek
Community Arts Preschool is seeking co-teachers for our Shadelands, Heather Farm, and Civic Park locations. The co-teacher is an important part of our classroom, working closely with our Lead Preschool Teacher to provide support and care for the children in our program. The co-teacher helps with classroom maintenance as well as instruction, assisting students at learning centers throughout the classroom and supervising outdoor play.
• Supervise small groups of children in the classroom and during outdoor play
• Work with Lead Teacher to plan and implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum that meets the needs of all children
• Support children as a facilitator of learning throughout the day
• Model positive and appropriate language and behavior
• Assist Lead Teachers with classroom documentation (taking photographs, dictation, etc.)
• Communicate child concerns and family needs to Lead Preschool Teacher and team
• Arrive to class and meetings prepared and on time and ready to teach
• Set up and oversee learning centers with guidance from the Lead Preschool Teacher
• Maintain cleanliness of classroom space
• Prepare materials and supplies
• Prepare snack - double check class list for food allergies, etc.
• Step in as the Lead Teacher as needed including leading circle time, story time, and music
• Attend and contribute to bi-weekly staff meetings
• Actively participate in team planning and trainings
• Caring, nurturing provider with minimum of 1-2 years of experience working with preschool age children in a developmental classroom setting
• Team player – able to work as part of a teaching team as well as work independently
• Able to lift up to 30 lbs
• ECE units desirable (completed and / or on-going)
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
• Current vaccination / TB screening
• CPR / First Aid certification
• Mandated reporter training (to be completed upon hire)
• Livescan clearance / fingerprinting (to be completed upon hire)
• Authorization to work in the US
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to:
Rosie Lopez, Preschool Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone Number
Back to all Preschool Employment Opportunities